Saturday, January 7, 2012

Blog shift

I'm going to set out to repurpose this blog. I used to, less frequently, post short observations on comedy, which I may still do, but I'd like to add a bit of "comedy media critic" aspect to it. That will start as pointing out other coverage about comedy from other outlets that I've found insightful and interesting. They have the time and focus to do the kind of reporting and coverage that I may not, so the least I can do is recommend it.

To that end, a first stop: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/magazine/stephen-colbert.html?ref=television. Already posted online three days ago, this is the cover story of tomorrow's New York Times Sunday magazine. In short, it looks at how Stephen Colbert is expanding his comedic persona by applying it to the US political fundraising system by starting his own Super PAC (political action committee). By actually using the Super PAC system in wacky ways -- to fund nonsensical ads, get referenda on ballots and support the owners' side in the recent NBA lockout -- Colbert is showing what a farce the rules and regulations are.

But I'll leave it to you to read more there. I give this teaser about the story to get you interested, as I'll do in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment