Thursday, May 28, 2009

Romantic misadventures

Nearly a year ago now, I dabbled not so successfully in stand-up comedy at open mike nights, but it was valuable for trying my hand at writing my own personal stand-up material, inspired by my own experiences and perceptions, just like many stand-ups do.

I'm not actively writing this stuff now, but every once in awhile have a thought or two that could be worked out on a stage, and I just had a couple I thought I'd put out there.

I guess I'll never understand the objections some dates had. These were sort of in-between relationships, not just one blind date that didn't click, or a full-fledged relationship of some months or more, but one of those little pseudo stillborn things that took a little longer to not click. In one, I should have known when I tried to hold hands on a date -- not a first date -- and got an objection, "what are you doing?" Yea, I'm trying to hold your hand and be romantic, that's so terrible ...

Another time I saw a date into a cab, and kissed her goodbye, and she said, bland and businesslike, "thank you." Who reacts that way? I didn't get it.

Anyway, those are the two bits. I don't know if they would be helped or hurt by delivery in person, or if they play well in print, but consider them a few stray pieces of that stand-up career that never was.

No comments:

Post a Comment