Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why I Should Be at Genesis' Rock HOF Induction

I would like to take a moment to diverge from my blog's usual comedy subject matter to state my case for why I should be present for Genesis' induction into the Rock Hall of Fame in March. There is no bigger Genesis fan in New York City. I have been listening to their music since I was 11 or 12, and quickly discovered the Peter Gabriel-era material as a kid, even though I wasn't fortunate enough to have been of age when it was originally created. I've carried my love of their music well into adulthood, and I maintain that I even might have a had a little something to do with their 2007 reunion.

Hearing that Phil Collins would be performing on the Rockefeller Center Plaza for the Today Show in 2006, I trooped down there early in the morning and got a prime spot by the stage with a banner reading "Phil: Genesis reunion?" (with "Genesis" in the angled lettering of the band's best logo). Holding the banner high while Phil was between songs, I caught his eye, and got a shrug and a smile. But I like to think I planted the seed ...

So if the guys are out there reading this, please designate a seat for me in the Waldorf-Astoria ballroom March 15. I hope Phil and Peter both make it, even if Phil can't play drums right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment